Thursday, July 1, 2010

A friend in need

What has it been now, 2, 3 months since my last post? What can I say, I've been super busy with an active 14 month old and wedding planning, so please forgive me. But, instead of updating you on our lives over the past several months, I'm dedicating this post to a friend who needs our help. I'm actually just copying and pasting from my friend Jessa because she just posted the same thing and it says everything that I would say, I just tweaked it a little. (Thanks Jessa!)

I wanted to take a couple of minutes to tell you all about the mommy of one of Ava's June birthday buddies, Barrett. Barrett's mom, Kim, was diagnosed with a rare form of cervical cancer while she was pregnant. In fact, if it weren't for her pregnancy, the cancer may have gone unnoticed much longer than it did. Barrett was delivered via emergency c-section at 31 weeks,(actually just 3 days after Ava was born) in order to get Kim started on treatment for her cancer. Barrett is now a bouncing, active 14 month old, but Kim continues to fight for her life everyday. You can read about her battle in the blog she keeps with her aunt, Fight for Barre.

Recently, Kim was told that the medical center she has been going to for treatments will no longer be treating her because her tumors keep growing. Having lost her job just before her diagnosis, Kim has no medical insurance. Her options are very limited. And perhaps hardest of all, she is raising her amazing little boy on her own. Barrett's father has had very little interaction with his son since his birth, with only minimal visitation on a very irregular basis. I don't know how Kim does it, but she continues to put up a fight. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of courage and faith this young woman must possess to even get out bed each day.

I met Kim through a discussion board on BabyZone.com, an area for moms and moms-to-be to gather and discuss their experiences in parenting. While those of us in the June 09 Birthday Club have never met Kim in person, we all want to do something to help her to know she is not alone in her struggle. We are planning a card shower for her, and we are inviting anyone who is moved by her story to participate. The plan is to send Kim a box of cards to let her know that there are people out there thinking of her and hoping for her cancer to go into remission. Some of us plan to include gift cards to help her with the day to day costs of raising a little boy on her own while being unable to work. While I'm sure she will appreciate this generosity, I think even the cards alone will bring a big smile to her face.

If you would like to join us in brightening Kim's day and letting her know that even strangers are holding her in their thoughts and prayers, let me know. I can give you the address of Tori, the girl who is organizing the card shower, so you can send her your cards for Kim. Tori will be putting the box together and sending it to Kim on July 18. Thank you in advance for sharing any kind words you have to offer to Kim. You never know how much of an impact your actions can have on someone, even if it's something as simple as sending a card.

If there is any other way that you can think of for us to help Kim, please let me know. Every time I think about Kim, my heart breaks. I just cannot imagine how hard things must be for her. Barrett needs his momma!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful - this is going on my blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey, I raised more money than I needed for a suicide hotline I am training for. I've been thinking for a while what I should do with the extra funds, and I can't think of a better cause than this to donate it to! If you could give me Tori's address so that I may send a card, that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome of you Kait! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete