Tuesday, December 1, 2009

'Tis the Season..

..for credit card fraud. I went online to check my bank account over the weekend and had a weird charge to Carfax. The always optimistic Matt said that maybe whoever entered the number made a mistake...right. So, I tried unsuccessfully to contact Carfax, but you literally cannot reach anybody on the phone, all of their customer service is done through email. So, I left a voicemail with my info and emailed them explaining that I thought somebody stole my credit card number and I wanted them to refund it. After 3 days, I finally heard back from them and they said they'd refund the money.

So, I've been monitoring my bank account carefully to make sure no other questionable charges were made. This morning there was a charge made to yahoo and there was a phone number, so I called and talked to a very helpful guy. He said that somebody used my card to start some bogus car trading website. They had my address and everything. He refunded me and shut the website down and I called the bank to cancel my card. Luckily, it was only a total of about $70 and I'll get it all back, but it's just such a horrible feeling. So the moral of my story is to check your bank accounts often this holiday season.

1 comment: